Movement for National Land and Agrarian Reform (MONLAR) along with various other allies organized an action in the North-Central Province, Sri Lanka.
|different faiths come together|
for farmers rights
Though not many local politicians appeared to stand in with the farmers’ demands, the Farmers’ Collective in their valiant effort to stand on their own footings and press for reform in local as well as national level policies to adopt sustainable peasant agriculture as the base of rural livelihood.
During the event, the following draft proposals were approved by the gathering as the demands of the farmers of the North-Central Province for campaigning in the future;
- Quickly raise the price of paddy!
- Cut off the interest of the loans
- Give pension for peasants
- Pay compensation of Rs. 30,000/= for each acre that was damaged
- Sarana sewa relief foundation
- Progressive farmer's federation Polonnaruwa
- Farmer, Fisher, Worker Collective, Kaudulla,
- Lanka farmer's forum, Anuradhapura. Anuradhapura,
- Nikasala community organization, Rajanganaya,
- Ape shakthi women's organization polonnaruwa,
- Rajarata gemi shakthi creative circle, Harigaswewa,
- Sri Lankan rural development foundation, Madirigiriya
- Community resources management foundation, Medawachchi
- Dhathusena farmer's organization
- Mahaweli united farmer's organization
- Manawa prabodha foundation
- Children's development & welfare center
- Polonnaruwa district livestock producers organization
- Anuradhapura District Inter faith collective, katiyawa